Re: Current "dpkg on Hurd" issues

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 11:35:45PM +0200, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 03:02:58PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> >
> > > * Depends on sysvinit (>= 2.72), which is not available on the Hurd.
> > >   A provides in some Hurd package is not good enough because dpkg can't
> > >   cope with versioned dependencies on provided packages last time I checked.
> >
> > What's wrong with having an empty sysvinit?  I'm certain other packages would
> > have this same issue, not just dpkg.
>
> Because having 100 dummy packages is just ugly and bloat the
> archive. What's wrong with fixing the actual problem? The problem here
> is that we don't have versioned provides.

As Marcus told me, this isn't the universal solution. I think we need
to be able to depend on and provide features of virtual pacakges. And
as Marcus also said, some of the dependencies giving us problems
should not exist at all.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org  IRC ID: jeroen@openprojects