Re: ia32 user space on ia64, et al

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Bdale Garbee wrote:

> [snip] I'll comment more on the above later when I have more time
>
> I intend for ia64 to be released stable with woody.  I would love for the ia32
> user space "problem" to be resolved cleanly by then, but I'm not expecting
> miracles.  If I have to hack something interim while waiting for a general
> solution to be implemented, I can probably live with that.

I don't really see this happening.  Sure, dpkg can do path munging during
installation.  And yes, I've been thinking of doing that feature.  However, I
do not want to put it in woody.  It will have to be someone else.

Wichert and I have discussed how we might modify dpkg to support multiple
similiar arches on a single machine, but again, I don't think this should be
put into woody.