Re: splitting /var/lib/dpkg/status and handling desc translation (was: ddts notification)

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 09:11:36AM +0200, Martin Quinson wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 04:25:43PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Previously Michael Bramer wrote:
> > > And if we get translators, why not add a some more languages. We have
> > > now in the ddtp only 11 languages at the beginning and we don't have
> > > real support in the project, in dpkg etc.
> >
> > Debian can do that. Other might not be able to do that. The world is
> > bigger then Debian.
>
> Even Debian can't do that for now, because nobody know how to deal with
> description translation in a scalable manner.

And debian has some translations now and can use it really.

> We proposed a first solution (the one with translation package) which did
> not scale well in number of package. We changed it (with translation in
> package or in extra file), but it did not solve the publishing issue. You
> proposed a solution (translation in control file) which does not scale in
> number of language, and makes the translator job hard (keeping track of
> outdated solutions).

We have propose some solutions. And the last proposal solve
  - the publishing issue (for apt and for dpkg)
  - and scale in number of package and number of language

If we use this proposal or if we use a other not-yet-writen proposal,
we need the support from dpkg and apt.

Please can we make a brainstorming with the apt, dpkg and translator
developer?

We should find a technical solution of this technical problem. Maybe
we can trashing gettext, but we need a solution. And IMHO we don't
need this solution in some years, we need it in some months.

We need a decision. If we have a decision, the ddts can support any
open format (that I understand).

Gruss
Grisu
Schlag mich! Kratz mich! Nenn mich OE-Nutzer!