Re: RFD: translated description with dpkg

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Steve Greenland wrote:
> > I also think the standalone .deb argument is pretty bogus.
>
> I disagree. A standalone .deb should never be less useful to people then
> one that is in some archive.

FWIW, I think this point cannot be emphasized enough. We already have a
large portion of our user base who doesn't know what dpkg is, and thus
are crippling themselves as debian users. Adding new, core, features
like translated package descriptions, that only work correctly if the
packages are retreived by apt is only going to drive more people in that
direction, and it will hurt both them and Debian in the end, by leading
to incocnsistency, confusion, and a less flexable system.

--
see shy jo