Re: Question: Can dpkg relocate package

So how would one handle relocating packages? I absolutely must be able to
do this. And I need to run a post install script that sets the install path in
certain config files.

Soraia

At 06/21/2001, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
Previously Soraia Paz wrote:
> Doesn't RPM allow you to set a variable that is available to the maintainer
> scripts that let's them know where the new install location is?

Sure, but those scripts may call other binaries that can not deal with
that. There is simply no way you can do this reliably for all packages.
That is also why rpm has a flag in a package that indicates if a package
supports prefixes, but I'm willing to bet that flag is set incorrectly
for a fair number of rpms out there.

Wichert.

 /       Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool     \
| wichert@wiggy.net                   http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |