Re: dpkg Database

On 19-Jun-01, 04:06 (CDT), Adam Heath <adam@lapdoog.doogie.brainfood.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Brad Pfautsch wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am running Debian 2.2r2 on a i386 machine.  When I came into work
> > yesterday, I was going to update some packages.  I kept getting errors
> > when trying to use dpkg stated "/var/lib/dpkg/status file or directory
> > not found".  I did a cd /var/lib and then dir.  The entire dpkg
> > directory is gone.  Is there any way to rebuild this without wiping out
> > my entire installation and starting over?  Thanks in advance for any
> > help.
>
> Nope.

That's basically true, in that there's no way to recover the
/var/lib/dpkg/info directory (which has all maintainer scripts, file
lists, etc.), but you should look in the /var/backups directory for a
copy of your dpkg status file, which will at least tell you what you had
installed, and with a little scripting can probably be used to automate
at least some of the reinstall.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read