unable to install updated status of `aterm': No such file or directory

Hello

I hope i got the rigth list. I just did an apt-get dist-upgrade on the
unstable tree. In the middle of the update dpkg turned out to have
a very strange error (output of dpkg):
(Reading database ... 118189 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace aterm 0.4.0-3 (using .../aterm_0.4.0-4_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/aterm_0.4.0-4_i386.deb (--install):
unable to install updated status of `aterm': No such file or directory
 /var/cache/apt/archives/aterm_0.4.0-4_i386.deb
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.

I tried to track the error down with strace and -D777 but after some hours
trying i still have no glue. The aterm package ist just an example.
This happens with every package i try to install. The packages themself
seem to be ok. I can unpack them with ar x. Thats how i got my ssh
back running, to mail from an external computer since mine has only a
broken one...

Thank you for your help!
Tim