dpkg fails with console-apt

I need the help of anybody about the following:

I installed Debian 2.2 from CD.
This has properly working dpkg and apt packages.
I downloaded and installed (from the deb file) the console-apt.
It works in the sense, it reads sources list and list the packages list
on screen. But if I choose a package to install, I receive the next
error message:

"Package manager (dpkg) failed:
*Internal error, Pathname to install is not absolute 'amp_0.7.6-
7_i386.deb'

If I use apt-get for the same package it works well. This happens for
any package.

I use apt 0.3.19  and capt 0.7.7.2potato2

Can anybody tell me, how can I resolve this ?