Re: Re: 2 dpkg errors

> Van: Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cistron.nl>
> Datum: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 23:01:52 +0100
> Aan: tnvander@chello.nl
> CC: debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org
> Onderwerp: Re: 2 dpkg errors
>
> Previously tnvander@chello.nl wrote:
> > dpkg: /home/wichert/sources/cvs/debian/x/dpkg-1.7.2/lib/dump.c:149: varbufdependency: Assertion `dop->up == dep' failed.
> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg exited unexpectedly
>
> Hmm, I've seen people report that before, but haven't been able to
> reproduce it :(
>
> > dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 35297 package `libsensors0':
> >  `Suggests' field, invalid package name `lm-sensors-móëÃóëÃ': character `' not allowed - only letters, digits and -+._ allowed
> > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
>
> This looks various much you are experience disk corruption. You don't
> happen to be running a 2.4 kernel, do you? Those have known disk
> corruption problems.
>
> Wichert.

I have to admit, I do run a 2.4test kernel. Only I thought that the disk-corruption problems of those were not present in the version I'm running at the moment.... I could be wrong of course.

The funny thing though, is that only two lines of the whole file were corrupted, both in exactly the same way. Both lines were the suggests-line of old versions of libsensors0. Two identical lines, except for the version of the package they referred to, with identical corruption. Perhaps a memory-error?

Anyways, I manually edited the file by putting something sensible in those places, and everything works fine again.

I'm compiling a newer 2.4test kernel now :-)

--Tim