Re: Is this the right place for Dselect discussion

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 08:39:29AM +0100, Wyss, Otto wrote:
> > Apt is the recommended dselect method.  I'm not saying stop using
> > dselect, I'm saying use dselect with the apt method.
> >

> Okay I missed that point. Now I've switched to apt mode and it's much
> better. Unfortunatly dselect still tries to configure packages which are set
> on hold.

Hmm.  Yes, you're right, that's counter-intuitive.  However, it *is*
correct behaviour.

If a package is installed, but unconfigured, it's broken.  It must
either be uninstalled, or configured, but there's no way of leaving it
like that.  'Hold' means it won't be updated to a new version, but it
won't stop it being configured.

Jules

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable