Re: Is this the right place for Dselect discussion

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 10:40:17AM +0200, Otto Wyss wrote:
> I'm playing around with frozen potato, doing everything with dselect or
> dpkg if dselect doesn't work. But each time I get more packages which
> can't be installed, even one I can't remove anymore
> (syslog-ng_1.4.0rc3-2.deb). Dselect seems not to be able to fix anything
> which is in a brocken state. Also deselct does not do a good job on
> upgrading a system (Why aren't unchanged packages simply skipped? And
> why are deselected packages logged as "Skipping deseleced ..."?).

THe problems you list are as much with the access methods as the
program itself. The access methods which use local files like cdroms
just run dpkg over all the files, which is, as you say, slightly
inefficient.  It's not a big problem, apart from aesthetically.

> Well I'd like to get rid of these problems, but where or whom could I
> send (e-mail) it?

Personally, I'd recommend using apt.  In particular, apt-get -f
install is quite good from recovering from brokenness and apt-get
upgrade works well.  I do use dselect too, sometimes, when I want an
overview of new packages etc., but I use the 'apt' method for dselect,
and that's what I'd recommend to you.

Jules

--
Jules Bean                          |        Any sufficiently advanced
jules@{debian.org,jellybean.co.uk}  |  technology is indistinguishable