Re: Who's working on centralized management?

On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, George Bonser wrote:

[equally set up machines]

> The problem with this is the preinst and postinst scripts that might be
> interactive.  I WISH there was a method to set an environment variable ...
> say AUTOGET or something, and the scripts could behave in some known
> fashion without asking for input if it is set. It might be set to two
> different things ... maybe REPLACE, KEEP, or YES. If it is KEEP, scripts
> would keep existing configurations, REPLACE would cause configurations to
> be replaced with the package config, YES would simply mean that the user
> will defer to the package author's judgement on what should be done. If
> the variable is not set or is set to NO, it will retain the existing
> interactive behavior.

I believe the problem is not configuration files, which should be ketp and
updated to new versions by the postinst script IMHO, but anything else
that might have to be asked. Maybe it would be wise to have something that
would send such questions via eMail to the administrator or probably uses
SNMP.

   Simon