Re: Uploaded dpkg 1.4.0.29 (source i386 all) to master

[Please note the added Cc:]

On Tue, Sep 22, 1998 at 09:43:45AM -0400, Christopher C Chimelis wrote:
> FYI, I've been meaning to file a "huge problem" bug report against dpkg
> regarding dpkg on the Alpha, but there's nothing to tell yet really since
> I can't track down the problem yet.
>
> For some reason, since 1.4.0.24, dpkg segfaults while unpacking the
> package on Alphas.  We've stuck to .24, but the need is definitely coming
> to upgrade it (we're hoping to make the slink release since we missed
> hamm's deadline).
>
> I have extensive strace and gdb info, but nothing was conclusive.  I'm
> about to test a new binutils which fixes TONS of problems for us and
> hopefully will fix this as well.
>
> I basically need two things from you in the meantime :-)  First, can
> you think of anything at all that was added between .24 and .27 (the first
> version after .24 that was tested...my machine was out of service and
> nobody else could get it to compile) that might apply to this problem?
> Also, is there any way to get the source to .24 (CVS?) just in case?

I'm sorry I can't help you on this; the work I did on dpkg was only in
scripts that are part of dpkg-dev. I'm not familiar with dpkg internals.

Can someone on debian-dpkg please assist Chris?

Ray
--
Cyberspace, a final frontier. These are the voyages of my messages,
on a lightspeed mission to explore strange new systems and to boldly go