Re: Release Time

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998 joost@pc47.mpn.cp.philips.com wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Brian White wrote:
> >
> > > What do you guys think of releasing 2.0 by the end of next week?
> > >
> > That's the 24th right?
> >
> > Can we get the last kinks out of the install disks by then?
>
> There's still a problem with the multi-cd images and dselect's cdrom
> method; this is what happened to me:
>
> - put the main cd in the cdrom drive and started dselect.
> - choose the cdrom method
> - configure it (setup the file locations on the cdrom)
>   - specify archive root; default is fine
>   - specify main dir; default is fine
>   - specify contrib dir; now there's a problem:
>
> The default is not accepted because dselect can't find the Packages file.
> That's right because it is on a different cd.  So I have to fill in "none"
> to get any further at all, but that means that I will have to reconfigure
> dselect for each different cd image.  IMHO rerunning update and install is
> an acceptable kludge for now, but having to reconfigure the cdrom method
> for every new cd is not.
>
> Instead, dselect should suggest a sane default (IIRC it already does)
> and accept the user input even when it cannot find a Packages file at
> configuration time.  This could be implemented fairly easily with some
> patches to /usr/lib/dpkg/methods/disk/setup.

It was my suggestion to put a Packages file on the first CD that includes
the packages found on the second CD (which are all contrib, as all of main
fits on the first)

Since dselect runs the install pass on main and the install pass on
contrib as separate passes, it should be a piece of cake to unmount,
prompt, and remount, the CD for each of those passes.

What would be better, but more difficult, would be to allow non-free,
non-us, and local, to reside on other medium than CD.

This means that dselect must be turned "inside out" within the Access
section; asking for the location of the main distribution and all the
other sections, with starting points like: Floppy, CD, FTP, NSF, ...
This is more than I would want to tackle.

I was going to try to build a 3 CD Intel distribution that includes main
and contrib along with all the source. This will let me try the 2 CD
install and see how it goes.

Waiting is,

Dwarf