Re: any plan for the bad bugs and hamm?

jk@espy.org (Joel Klecker)  wrote on 16.06.98 in <v04011708b1ac34f32769@[206.163.71.146]>:

> At 23:52 -0700 1998-06-15, Adam P. Harris wrote:
> >dpkg              17381  dpkg: please add
> >--force-overwrite-inexistant-files and default to it ;) [143]  (Klee
> >Dienes and Ian Jackson <dpkg-maint@chiark.greenend.org.uk>)
>
> I don't think this is really a bug, the first example shows an overlap
> between two packages, and the second has two artificial packages both
> containing /usr/doc/foobar, one is installed, the /usr/doc directory is
> removed, and the other package is installed, dpkg complains about the
> overlap.

This bug has bitten me numerous times recently, and it is really hard to
find out what is going on. I'd label it a pretty serious bug; I *think*
what happens is that dpkg can't handle when a directory doesn't exist that
it's database claims, and another package claims, too - but which wouldn't
amount to a problem if the directory were there.

But it may also be related to symlinks - in one case, I've seen it happen
and found the directory in question was a symlink pointing to itself -
some svgalib package.

The only solution I've found is hand-modifying the database, which cannot
possibly be a good solution.

And in not one of those cases was it caused by me removing something by
hand.

Key points: extremely unobvious; extremely hard to fix manually; can be
caused by normal dpkg usage => serious dpkg bug.

MfG Kai