Re: dpkg upgrade/downgrade dependency problem

On Tue, Apr 14, 1998 at 03:44:42PM +0200, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> Ok. So I guess the "Suggests: dpkg (>= 1.4.0.23)" would be the best
> solution. Is 1.4.0.23 the correct version?

	That will be the next dpkg version.  I'm working on a NMU
that fixes some problems, but we are still having some discussions on
debian-dpkg, so I don't know when will I upload it...

>                                            (Should I wait with the
> Suggests: until the new dpkg has been released?

	It's only a "Suggests:".  I think you can upload it without
waiting for dpkg.

> The new dpkg should implement the following changes WRT packaging-manual:
>
>  1. remove from dpkg source package:
>       doc/changelog
>       doc/packaging.sgml
>
>  2. remove from dpkg binary package (i.e., adapt debian/rules):
>       usr/doc/dpkg/packaging.html/*
>
>  3. remove from dpkg-dev binary package:
>       usr/doc/dpkg/changelog.manuals.gz
>
>  4. rename in dpkg binary package:
>       usr/doc/dpkg/changelog.dpkg.gz into usr/doc/dpkg/changelog.gz
>
>  5. add a "Suggests: packaging-manual"
>
>     (I'm uncertain whether #5 is good: the suggests would inform people
> during an upgrade that the packaging manual has been split off. However,
> the packaging-manual is certainly not needed for the average user. Any
> preferences?)

	I will add "Suggests: packaging-manual" in dpkg-dev.  There's
no need to add it in dpkg.

> Do you want me to file the above as a bug report or is it ok this way?

	No, please.  I'm not the maintainer so I won't be able to
close the bug report (and we don't have the "fixed" severity yet :-))

--
Juan Cespedes