release notes mentioning dropped support?

Hi Kernel team,

I happen to own a QNAP (armel) and I spotted in the changelog that it's
not going to be supported in bullseye. I was wondering, is that
something that should be mentioned in the release notes? Obviously I
don't mean because I own it, but I'm betting that support for particular
hardware pieces has been dropped in the past too. I don't recall
something like that in the buster release notes, but even if we didn't
do it in the past, now could be a good moment to start if we think we
should add it.

Either way, I was wondering what would happen if I try to upgrade such a
device. I'm *assuming* that the linux package would detect that the
image is too big, but what would that leave me? A fully upgraded system
with an old kernel, or is there any detection before any upgrade
happens? For owners of such devices, is their only option to stay at
buster? E.g. is there any chance in building a smaller custom kernel
with less options enabled or is that impossible because nearly
everything is build as module?

Paul