Re: Binary compatibility and Debian updates

Hi Jakob,

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 10:36:10PM -0700, Jakob Leben wrote:

> I have not been able to find clear information about Debian policies for binary
> compatibility between point releases and security updates. In essence, I would
> like to know whether the binary interface of dynamic ELF libraries is
> guaranteed to remain unmodified across such updates.
<snip>

At https://www.debian.org/security/faq#oldversion it says:

"never change the Application Program Interface (API) or Application Binary
Interface (ABI)"

and

"In some cases it is not possible to backport a security fix, for example when
large amounts of source code need to be modified or rewritten. If that happens
it might be necessary to move to a new upstream version"

I guess it boils down to: Debian aims at keeping binary compatibility during
the support window of stable releases, but cannot guarantee it.  Some upstreams
lack resources to help us maintaining that.  Debian cannot guarantee anything:
we are a volunteer project.  Otoh, I feel we have a pretty good track record;
it won't be easy to find another project doing better in this regard.

HTH, Bye,

Joost