Re: Installing chapter in the release notes

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 05:31:53PM +0100, Baptiste Jammet wrote:

Thanks for raising these important items.

> +<term>ifname instead of mac address</term>
> +<listitem>
> +<para>
> +The installer and the installed systems will now use ifnames by default
> +instead of mac for network interface names.
> +</para>
> +</listitem>
> +</varlistentry>

Not having really worked with stretch yet (ie target audience member),
I'm had no real idea what this meant when I first read it.
Can you say what you mean in fuller terms that we could pare back
to something suitable for the notes?

Currently jessie systems use e.g. eth0 for the interface names.
Reading [1] it seems it is possible to use the MAC address, eg
enx78e7d1ea46da for the interface with MAC 78:e7:d1:ea:46:da.
IIUC your text is stating that the eth0 scheme will be default?

Kind regards
Vince

[1]
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/