Re: debian manuals

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 09:58:35AM -0500, Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> I am trying to get a local copy of all documentation that is available
> from debian. Pleas correct me if I'm wrong but as of now this is how i
> understand Debian docs.
>
> Reading the Debian documentation policy (DRAFT) ch 3 showed me:
> CVS access, http://cvs.debian.org/?root=debian-doc which has all of
> the references that debian.org/doc has in the manuals-sgml folder. I
> can use debian-doc-sgml DTD to to transform it to (text,html,ps,pdf).

Correct. But a few documents (debian-history, ...) are available in XML.
Nevertheless you can create it with make.

> My next step was to get all the man documentation, and all the
> /usr/share/doc/ documentation. How can I do that?

You need to obtain the full debian archive (e.g. by downloading a DVD
set) and parse all packages ... On http://ftp.debian.org/dists/etch/ you
can fetch Contents-i386.gz which contains a list of all files in Debian.
You can parse this file to download only a subset of packages.

> 1. http://cvs.debian.org/manpages/?root=debian-doc seems to have only
> some packages, how these are chosen is not obvious to me.

That's outdated and planned for removal sine many years. Ignore it.

> Could you tell me or direct me to information that would answer these
> questions:
> -where can i find man pages for each package?

In the packages itself. The are also a few manpages* packages.

> -where can i find copy of /usr/share/doc manuals?

Nowhere.

Jens