Re: Release Notes: Proposed patch for obsolete (deleted || dummy) packages

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 03:17:14AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Monday 23 May 2005 01:02, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> > Attached is a patch in order to introduce some information in the
> > Release Nots on how to detect obsolete packages after an upgrade. The
> > patch is actually made up of two parts:
> >
> > - a section right after the upgrade that details how sysadmins can
> > detect obsolete packages (either removed or dummy packages) in the
> > system. It is also targeted at warning sysadmins that security support
> > for removed packages will only last as long as security support for
> > woody lasts [1]
>
> This looks useful. Maybe it could also be intergrated in chapter 5,
> although that would mean changing the title and moving all existing
> sections one level down.

Ok, if we all agree then I'll add this part of the patch to the Release
Notes. I've made some changes based on some suggestions on and off the list
and will commit it later today.

> > - a section in the end that is actually recovered from CVS and needs to
> > be reviewed. Rob updated the content but then removed it altogether in
> > revision 1.5.
>
> I agree with Rob. The lists are long and ugly, especially in the
> PDF/PS/TXT versions of the Release Notes.
(...)
> Maybe a separate webpage can be created that has these lists. I'll be
> happy to include a link to those pages in the Release Notes.

Ok. I'm going to move this lists to wml and provide then in the website
under releases/sarge/ maybe divided up into several webpages. I will add a
link from the previous section to the webpages once done.

> Also, your patch still includes:
>    the removed package.</p>
> Now, if there really were alternatives listed, that _would_ make the list
> somewhat useful. However, none of the packages has this information.

Actually, that is done in the dummy packages section but not in the removed
list. I will move some more packages to that list.

Regards

Javier