Re: Release Notes: Proposed patch for obsolete (deleted || dummy) packages

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 03:02:03AM +0200, Jens Seidel wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 01:02:07AM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> > [1] There is no official deadline as of yet, and potato was supported for
> > a year after its release (see
>
> According to http://www.debian.org/security/faq#lifespan the
> security team tries to support updates for about one year after the next
> stable release.

Oh, missed dat.

> > +	 <item>freeciv, has been splitted into freeciv-client and freeciv-server.
>
> I know :-))
>
> PS: At bottom of your patch you have an empty list of splitted packages :-)

Yes, it's commented out. I have a partial list in my system that will use
to update this info if we deem these lists useful and include them in the
Release Notes.

> > +	 <item>plex86, replaced by bochs.
>
> Ahm, I'm not sure about this. From Plex86 changelog: "Plex86 is dead
> upstream.". Package description:
> "The functionality of Plex86 in debian has been superceeded by the Bochs
>  package."
> Bochs has a similar functionality but does it really replace plex86
> which was designed to be a VMWare clone which executes i386 code natively
> in contrast to bochs which emulates everything?

I know that plex86 != bochs, but the maintainer has chosen that as the
upgrade path, I'm only reflecting that.

> > +	 <item>tuxracer, replaced by planetpenguin-racer.
>
> Thanks, I have to remember this.

Actually, there seems to be some comments in debian-release related to
this change right now.

I'm ok for all the typos. As for all the suggestions in the lists I'm also
OK but I wanted first to hear if it's OK for the lists to go back in.

Regards

Javier