Re: Release Notes: Proposed patch for obsolete (deleted || dummy) packages

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 01:02:07AM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> [1] There is no official deadline as of yet, and potato was supported for
> a year after its release (see

According to http://www.debian.org/security/faq#lifespan the
security team tries to support updates for about one year after the next
stable release.

> +	 as a direct consequence that only limited support for these
> +	 packages will be provided through security updates while official
> +	 security support for &oldreleasename; is provided, which usually
> +	 lasts a few months after the release, but not more. There is no

s/a few months/one year/

> +	 functionality they provide has been superceeded by a different

s/superceeded/superseded/

> +	 &oldreleasename; it will have kept track of those packages you
> +	 manually installed and will be able to mark as obsolete those
> +	 packages pulled in by dependancies alone which are no longer

s/dependancies/dependencies/ (I'm not sure whether it's wrong, but it's
nevertheless useful to be consistent)

> +	 not used by any other packages. Do not blindly remove the packages
> +	 that are presented by those tools, specially if you are using

s/specially/especially/

> +<!-- JFS: Should we recommend purging old packages? This might be
> +dangerours since the maintainer scripts might try to remove stuff that

s/dangerours/dangerous/

> +	 <p>If you want additional information on why the package was
> +         removed you might find additional information in the <url

s/additional information/this/

> +	 empty packages with dependancies that will pull in the new

s/dependancies/dependencies/

> +	 <item>freeciv, has been splitted into freeciv-client and freeciv-server.

I know :-))

PS: At bottom of your patch you have an empty list of splitted packages :-)

> +	 <item>plex86, replaced by bochs.

Ahm, I'm not sure about this. From Plex86 changelog: "Plex86 is dead
upstream.". Package description:
"The functionality of Plex86 in debian has been superceeded by the Bochs
 package."
Bochs has a similar functionality but does it really replace plex86
which was designed to be a VMWare clone which executes i386 code natively
in contrast to bochs which emulates everything?

> +	 <item>tuxracer, replaced by planetpenguin-racer.

Thanks, I have to remember this.

> +          and do a query based on the bugnumber.</p>

s/bugnumber/bug number/

> +          the bugnumber.</p>

> +          the bugnumber.</p>

s/bugnumber/bug number/

> +        <heading>Packages removed for other reasons</heading>
> +         abuse (202384)
> +         alsa-utils-0.4
> +         xamixer-0.4

Funny sorting xmixer < althea? :-))

> +         althea
> +         amavis-postfix (182493)
> +         auto-pgp

> +	  everybuddy
> +	  fudgit (160547)
> +	  (1:3.0.3ds3-1) gcc-3.0-base (257185)

Different format (version number) makes automatic parsing more difficult ...

> +
> +        <p>The following packages have been renamed as shown. In most, if
> +        not all, cases, Conflicts:, Replaces:, and Provides: fields (or even
> +        dummy packages) have been provided so the new package will either
> +        get installed automatically, and/or will safely replace or remove
> +        the old one. This also includes packages that have been merged into
> +        other packages as this gives the same end result as a rename.

> +	battstat-applet ->  gnome-applets

gnome-applets conflicts with battstat-applet but does not Replaces: it.

> +	dvipdfm ->  tetex

Are you sure you want to refer to the source package tetex not tetex-bin, ...?

> +	fetchmail-ssl ->  fetchmail

fetchmail-ssl is a dummy package! Add it to dummy package category!

> +	ftpfs -> lufs

No Conflicts: nor Replaces:

> +	greg ->  gnustep-guile

Sorry, I can't find gnustep-guile

> +	iv ->  ida
> +	jfsprogs ->  jfsutils

No Conflicts: nor Replaces:

> +	kernel-patch-2.4-selinux ->  kernel-patch-2.4-lsm

kernel-patch-2.4-lsm is in stable only!

> +	mico-bin ->  mico

mico doens't exist

> +	morse -> unixcw

No Conflicts: nor Replaces:

> +	mproc -> mps

In stable only??

> +	mps -> openmosix

Hah, combine the last two into mproc -> openmosix?
No Conflicts: nor Replaces:

> +	netsaint -> by nagios

s/by //
No Conflicts: nor Replaces:

> +	ucsc-smartsuite -> smartsuite

In stable only

> +	w3mmee-ssl -> w3m

correct: w3mmee-ssl->w3mmee->w3m

Add: w3mmee->w3m

> +	zoggy -> cameleon
No Conflicts: nor Replaces:

> +        <p>Between releases 3.0 (`woody') and  &release; (`sarge'), a number of

no hardcoding of release name sarge please

> +        all of these components.Some packages will display a notice

Add missing space

Puh, now it's time to sleep.

Jens