Re: [Newbiedoc-discuss] Would wiki be a better way of doing this

Andrew Ballantine <aballantine@willowbrook.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm effectively a Linux novice by the definition on
> http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?DebianUserModels
>
> I looked at your NewbieDoc web page and found it quite intimidating for a
> new user. It looked like a major commitment whereas I all I wanted to do was
> offer some insight and the benefit of my experience during my lunch hour.
>
> The header  on your web page "How to change CNTRL-ALT-Delete" is a good
> example of not understanding what is useful to a Newbie. The Hint 45?
> advises (as best as I can remember)
> "Comment out the line in /etc/in..." ,but then displays TWO lines. Yes I,
> and possibly you, know that the first line is commented already and it is
> the second line that needs commenting, but isn't yet. Secondly the Newbie
> might just about appreciate that "commenting" a line might switch off that
> functionality, but the text fails to point out HOW. It is  of course
> achieved by placing a # character at the beginning of the line. However
> please be aware that commenting out a line on other systems is not achieved
> with a # character, but by the use of other characters such as ; character.
> Therefore to help the Newbie and the Linux Novice, a little more precision
> would be greatly appreciated.

I think you're right.

> I would edit the original if I could get at it easily, via DebianWiki for
> example, but the web page is now showing a different tip.
>
> I would like to suggest that someone or myself, with permission from your
> group, places some of your current documents on DebianWiki AND that you put
> a pointer on your web page to give users the option of updating the docs
> with wiki, rather than formal process you appear to have at the moment.
>
> If I have got it all wrong and I can just go to the document on your web
> site and make my contribution without having to jump though several hoops, I
> apologise. However I think that wiki is probably the best medium for
> generating user documentation that I have seen in 37 years in the computing
> industry.

from my experience with wiki's.
I think it's a great tool for collaborative working (like writing documentation).
But afaik it lacks some things: it's an online medium. how will you get newbiedocs out of wiki into a format that people can download ?
like now newbiedoc is also a normal .deb package that people can get through apt-get. would that be possible ?

p.s.: I really like newbiedoc. It helped me through some things (like exim).

Bart

> Regards,
>
> Andrew Ballantine
> IT Manager
> Erinstar Ltd
> Mill House, Elgar Business Centre, Hallow, Worcester WR2 6NJ
> Tel:01905 642200 x 223 Fax: 01905 642213
> aballantine@willowbrook.co.uk

"Intellectuals are the shoeshine boys of the ruling elite" (Killdozer)

http://wvl.indymedia.org  |     bart at indymedia.org
http://thepits.be         |     bart at thepits.be
http://pseudopunk.be      |     icq: 48682266

gebruik vrije software -- Debian GNU/Linux -- http://debian.org
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-keys be196251