Would wiki be a better way of doing this

Hi,

I'm effectively a Linux novice by the definition on
http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?DebianUserModels

I looked at your NewbieDoc web page and found it quite intimidating for a new user. It looked like a major commitment whereas I all I wanted to do was offer some insight and the benefit of my experience during my lunch hour.

The header  on your web page "How to change CNTRL-ALT-Delete" is a good example of not understanding what is useful to a Newbie. The Hint 45? advises (as best as I can remember)
"Comment out the line in /etc/in..." ,but then displays TWO lines. Yes I, and possibly you, know that the first line is commented already and it is the second line that needs commenting, but isn't yet. Secondly the Newbie might just about appreciate that "commenting" a line might switch off that functionality, but the text fails to point out HOW. It is  of course achieved by placing a # character at the beginning of the line. However please be aware that commenting out a line on other systems is not achieved with a # character, but by the use of other characters such as ; character. Therefore to help the Newbie and the Linux Novice, a little more precision would be greatly appreciated.

I would edit the original if I could get at it easily, via DebianWiki for example, but the web page is now showing a different tip.

I would like to suggest that someone or myself, with permission from your group, places some of your current documents on DebianWiki AND that you put a pointer on your web page to give users the option of updating the docs with wiki, rather than formal process you appear to have at the moment.

If I have got it all wrong and I can just go to the document on your web site and make my contribution without having to jump though several hoops, I apologise. However I think that wiki is probably the best medium for generating user documentation that I have seen in 37 years in the computing industry.

Regards,

Andrew Ballantine
IT Manager
Erinstar Ltd
Mill House, Elgar Business Centre, Hallow, Worcester WR2 6NJ
Tel:01905 642200 x 223 Fax: 01905 642213
aballantine@willowbrook.co.uk