Re: Documentation help?

Mark,

Mark Johnson wrote:

> Kevin Cullis writes:
> > I'm currently focusing on cataloging Linux Documentation and was
> > wondering if Debian would like to adopt my cataloging system of Linux
> > Documentation?  My web site will be up in the next couple of months, but
> > you can get the jest of it here:
> >
> > http://www.linuxloc.com
> >
> > I'm categorizing all of the HOWTOs, man pages, etc into a system which
> > will have five approaches to find an answer.
>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> I saw a post you made to the ldp-meta list. Are you planning to use
> the Open Source Metadata Framework (OMF)?

Yes, I've even posted to the OMF regarding adding some metadata
categories to it's current specs, but have not heard anything concerning
it.

> This stuff looks pretty interesting, and potentially useful. Does it
> require the creation of a separate OMF entry for each doc to be
> catalogued? If so, do have a means to automate the process for
> DocBook?

I'm currently only focusing on the cataloging effort, what goes where,
etc., but I'll need some help with DocBook since I'll have to learn
that.

> Since I package some docbook xml stuff for debian, I'm interested in
> how we might make use of the OMF without increasing the
> workload. (Hmm... sounds suspiciously like I'm asking for that elusive
> free lunch again...)

I'm all for preventing an increase in workload.

> > My intent is not to write the documentation, but provide a system
> > whereby you can see what docs need to be produced by the gaps which are
> > left.
> >
> Good luck! Sounds like a major undertaking.

It's actually larger than I expected involving more issues that I had
expected, but that's the challenge then.

About this project, consider that Yahoo only provides a browsing way of
finding information and I intend to do more.

Thanks for the interest.

Kevin