Compressed HTML, Apache MultiViews for /doc/, new doc-base option ?

 I've been hard at work on a new-fangled packaging setup for the
 XEmacs-21.2-Beta, and have created a `doc-html' package for it, using
 `texi2html'.  I would really like to compress all of those HTML
 files, as well as the rest of the HTML in /usr/doc, just to save
 space.  It can make a huge difference on a small laptop, freeing
 precious hard disk space for several CVS checkouts, for instance.

 I've learned that with Apache, you can set the "MultiViews" option,
 and it will serve the "<document>.html.gz" when the "<document>.html"
 is not found.  I notice that by default, our Apache does not have the
 "MultiViews" option enabled in "/doc/".  I think that it should.
 Presumably, the other HTTP daemons can be modified to behave in a
 similar fashion, if they don't already deal with this.

 I'm less concerned about whether the data is uncompressed prior to
 service or sent with an "application/x-gzip" content-encoding than I
 am with that it will find "<document>.html.gz" when "<document>.html"
 is requested but doesn't exist anymore.  (Of course, if it sends gzip
 encoded data, it needs to report that to the browser...)  We should
 *not* have to stream-edit outgoing HTML to fix up the links inside
 it.  It would be nice to make it so that if a browser cannot accept
 gzip encoded content, the document is uncompressed prior to service,
 and if it does, it's sent compressed.  Johnie?  Does Apache deal with
 that?

 I would like `doc-base' to be modified[1] so that, at local option,
 all HTML documentation gets compressed after installation.  I have
 written some preliminary code to handle that.  I would like folks who
 understand `dpkg' well to look it over and see if it's correctly
 implemented, and if so, we can roll it into `doc-base' somehow.

 Please don't try this on a production system, etc. etc... and RTFS
 before you run it.  I've not looked at it in 5 or 6 months.  I think
 it used to work...

 Mainly, I want folks to look at it and see if they like the idea.
 Should I pursue this?  Would yous like that?

   http://bittersweet.inetarena.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/doczipper/
   CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@bittersweet.inetarena.com:/var/cvs/debian
   Blank password, module "doczipper".

 It edits the "/var/lib/dpkg/info/<package>.list" databases so that
 when a package is removed, purged, or upgraded the renamed HTML
 documents are properly tracked and dealt with.

Footnotes:
[1]  I'm willing to take on this task.

- --
We should not penalize the conscientious to coddle those who run brain-dead software.
I am karlheg, of deB.ORG.  You will be freed.  Resistance is useful.
mailto:karlheg@debian.org (Karl M. Hegbloom)
http://www.debian.org/~karlheg