Re: Re^2: Documents vs. Sections

Marco.Budde@hqsys.antar.com (Marco Budde) writes:
> Am 28.04.98 schrieb Marcus.Brinkmann # ruhr-uni-bochum.de ...
> MB> * Section Registrations --- the DDH shipped with doc-base and
> MB> packages create sections, where documents can be stored. A
> MB> section needs a shortname, a title and an abstract. Probably
> MB> further tags that are useful in this context (language, ...)
>
> Ok. But we could use the same tags as we use for doc registration. If
> there#s no "File: " for an entry, the parser knows, that this entry
> describes a section registration.

Disagree mildly.  See my arguments against this.  Don't see the point.

> MB> * Link Registrations --- the DDH will contain *very* few *section
> MB> crosslinks*   between different sections of the hierarchy. Thsoe are only
> MB> meant as a   convenience for the user and to support the logical
> MB> structure. Only the   DDH may create such links. From DDH -guidelines:
>
> Ok, but Links should only used for sections and not for documents.

Strongly disagree.  Support why you don't want to allow documents to
be present in multiple sections; seems essential given an "index"
orientation.

> And we could use the same syntax like for doc/section
> registration. For example we could use "File: @devel/mini".

Don't see what you're really suggesting here.

> And remember we should support URLs:
>
>   "File: http://....";

Should we?  Disagree at this phase but intriguing notion.  I could see
wanting maybe to have 'Original-Source: http://...' pointing to an
upstream, more live or possibly more up-to-date copy (i.e., say it's a
dump of a faq-o-matic or something).

> MB> Document: foobar
> MB> Author: Mr. Brown
> MB> Abstract: The brown fox doesn't jump anymore.
> MB> Section: devel/lang/perl
> MB> Section: usr/games
>
> Well, looks nice, but for a parser it would be easier, if we have one
> entry for one Section:
>
>   Document: foobar
>   Section: devel/lang/perl
>
>   Document: foobar
>   Section: usr/games

You're muddling section registration with document registration.  No
futher speculation will be engaged in until I have emitted the
document registration file format.  Although it's late and I may be
confused on what your point is.