subproject-howto, fdl.sgml, debiandoc+docbook=headache

Hi.  I have started writing a subproject-howto in debiandoc sgml as a native
Debian package (see the attached ITP; see also a recent pre-release of the
document, HTML output only, at http://people.debian.org/~synrg).  I have a
problem including the license text.

First, like the apt-howto, I would like to put my document under the FDL.
However, unlike that document, I would prefer to have the license itself as
an appendix based on fdl.sgml from FSF.  The apt-howto has a short
notification in the document itself, while the full copy of the license is
provided in copyright, which is a part of the Debian packaging.  Sure, it is
a native Debian package, so you might consider ./debian/copyright as "part
of the source" but still, it doesn't feel right.

My problem is that fdl.sgml is written in docbook instead of debiandoc.  "No
problem," says I, "I'll just sed the docbook stuff in the document to make
it debiandoc instead."  How naive I was.  It didn't take very long to
discover that section numbering in the FDL relies on some features of
docbook I cannot find in debiandoc.  Lists are too simple.  <enumlist> is
wrong because it uses numbers.  <taglist> is better, but requires me to
explicitly letter each section.  What I really need is something that
automatically letters each section, as <orderedlist numeration="upperalpha">
would do in docbook.

But then it occurred to me that perhaps someone here has already made
a debiandoc fdl.sgml.  Has anyone done that?  If not, I'd like to give
it a try, but am such a newbie at sgml that I hope you'll tolerate my
questions if/when I get lost. :)

Ben