Re: How painful is a lib(fuse) .so version bump for a distribution

On Thu, 2024-09-26 at 01:31 +0500, Andrey Rakhmatullin wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2024 at 09:38:26PM +0200, Bernd Schubert wrote:
> > I would like to ask how painful is a library (libfuse) .so for a
> > distribution?
>
> Not at all, if all revdeps build fine with the bumped version.
>
> "I'm assuming that distributions do not recompile packages against a new
> library version, unless absolutely needed - if I'm right library ABI
> changes cause silent issues." sounds very wrong to me. We always
> recompile packages against a new soname when that is uploaded, and as we
> try to keep packages uptodate a new soname is normally uploaded every time
> it's bumped by the upstream.

But we *don't* rebuild when there is not an soversion bump, so the
previous unintended ABI changes in libfuse3-3 may well have caused
silent issues for its reverse-dependencies.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
If the facts do not conform to your theory, they must be disposed of.