Re: Command /usr/bin/mv wrong message in German

Hi,

Quoting Andrey Rakhmatullin (2024-04-01 09:58:21)
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2024 at 01:03:04PM +1000, Russell Stuart wrote:
> > On 1/4/24 10:18, gregor herrmann wrote:
> > > % dpkg -S $(which mv > coreutils: /usr/bin/mv
> >
> > On bookworm:
> >
> >     $ dpkg -S $(which mv)
> >     dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /usr/bin/mv
> >
> > This is caused by the /bin -> /usr/bin shift.
> >
> > The reason I'm replying is after one, probably two decades this still
> > annoys me:
> >
> >    $ dpkg -S /etc/profile
> >    dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /etc/profile
> >
> > It was put their by the Debian install, and I'm unlikely to change it.
> > Its fairly important security wise.  It would be nice if "dpkg -S" told
> > me base-files.deb installed it.  It would be nice if debsums told me if
> > it changed.  There are lots of files like this, such as /etc/environment
> > and /etc/hosts.  There are some directories like /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/
> > which should only have files claimed by some .deb.
> This is the reason I never expect dpkg -S to work and dpkg -L to be
> correct. The (probably) oldest registered bug report about this is #213907,
> from 2003. RPM has %ghost since before that, of course.

This is the reason I never expect apt-file search to work. It would be nice if
we had a tool which would track the files created by maintainer scripts as well
and associate them to packages. Isn't dumat tracking which files are actually
created after package installation? If yes, can that data be made searchable?

Thanks!

cheers, josch