Re: On merging bin and sbin

Hi Helmut,

On Wed, 2024-02-28 at 07:41 +0100, Helmut Grohne wrote:
I see that you are working on merging /bin and /sbin, for instance via
brltty bug #1064785. Again Fedora is pioneering this matter and their
documentation is at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Unify_bin_and_sbin.

This summary is wrong. Other Linux distributions like Arch Linux have done that over 10 years ago.

So I wouldn't call Fedora pioneering anything here (same as before with merged-/usr which many people also claim Fedora or others invented).

Apart from the implementation side, this is a more user visible change.
As you complete programs in a user shell, more programs become
available.

I totally agree: we should aim at moving all service binaries such as daemons which are not directly invoked by users out of PATH to /usr/lib{,exec} or similar to make shell completion more helpful.

 This can be good, but it can also be seen as a pollution of
your shell completion. I note that Fedora seems to have added /sbin to
the user $PATH by default, which is not what Debian has done. I do not
think we have consensus on this and would raise an objection of my own.

/sbin not in PATH by default makes many more veteran users unhappy. Especially as even su (not `su -`) no longer does that (an incompatible change in one of the last Debian releases).

Ansgar