Re: usrmerge breaks POSIX

Dixi quod…

>Russ Allbery dixit:
>
>>> What sets $SHELL for the reporter’s case? Fix that instead.  login(1)
>>> sets it to the path from passwd(5), which hopefully is from shells(5).
>>
>>My guess is that pkexec is calling realpath to canonicalize the path
>>before checking for it in /etc/shells, although I have not confirmed this.
>
>Now that would be weird and should be fixed…

Another question that probably should be answered first is
that why pkexec (whatever that is) checks against /etc/shells
and if that’s correct.

On systems where I don’t have root, I tend to install things
including a shell into ~/.etc/bin/ and then ofc also put it
in $SHELL… for GNU screen.

I’d be really appreciative if I did not have to add extra
nōn-canonical paths to /etc/shells for bugs in unrelated
software.

Thanks,
//mirabilos
--
“It is inappropriate to require that a time represented as
 seconds since the Epoch precisely represent the number of