Re: usrmerge breaks POSIX

Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.net> writes:

> POSIX says:

>   SHELL   This variable shall represent a pathname of the user's
>           preferred command language interpreter. If this interpreter
>           does not conform to the Shell Command Language in XCU
>           Chapter 2 (on page 2345), utilities may behave differently
>           from those described in POSIX.1-2017.

> There is no requirement to match one of the /etc/shells pathnames.
> The user or scripts should be free to use any arbitrary pathname to
> the command language interpreter available on the system, and Debian
> should ensure that this is allowed, in particular the one give by
> the realpath command.

I'm sorry, this is probably a really obvious question, but could you
explain the connection between the subject of your mail message and the
body of your mail message?  I can't see any relationship, so I guess I
need it spelled out for me in small words.

(I believe /etc/shells enforcement is done via PAM or in specific
programs that impose this as an additional non-POSIX restriction.  This is
outside the scope of POSIX.)