Re: Reducing allowed Vcs for packaging?

On Sun, Feb 26, 2023 at 09:57:34PM +0100, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> On Sunday, 26 February 2023 20:06:26 CET Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > For anything in Debian, the package sources in Debian would not
> > disappear when a repository (or salsa) disappears.
>
> Question as I don't know: is that only the package change that gets uploaded
> to the Debian archive, or is there also a place where the (git) history of the
> changes leading up to a new upload gets stored?
>
> To use an analogy: I'd like that not only the 'destination' is preserved, but
> also the lead up to the destination.

What goes into the Debian archive is based on tarballs and quilt patches.
Nothing is stored there except the files you upload.

But what do you expect to get from the git history?

There is no requirement that any history in addition to what is in
the Debian archive exists at all, or any guarantee that what is in
some git tree somewhere is actually the same as what is in the
Debian archive. And git history might just be one commit per upload.

I would rather like to see people write useful changelog entries
that will still be useful in 25 years instead of
  * New upstream version (Closes: #1234567, #1234568, #1234569, ...
or
  * Add R³
than hoping that git metadata would contain anything more useful
than that for such packages.

cu
Adrian