Re: RFP: kernelcraft -- Tool to build and run a kernel inside a virtualized snapshot of your live system

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 05:56:41PM +0200, Andrea Righi wrote:
> Package: wnpp
> Severity: wishlist
> Owner: Andrea Righi <andrea.righi@canonical.com>
> Control: affects -1 ITP
>
> * Package name    : kernelcraft
>   Version         : 2.0
>   Upstream Author : Andrea Righi <andrea.righi@canonical.com>
> * URL             : https://salsa.debian.org/arighi/kernelcraft
> * License         : GPL-2
>   Programming Lang: Python
>   Description     : Tool to build and run a kernel inside a virtualized snapshot of your live system
>
> KernelCraft is a tool that allows to easily and quickly recompile and
> test a Linux kernel, starting from the source code.
>
> It allows to recompile the kernel in few minutes (rather than hours),
> then the kernel is automatically started in a virtualized environment
> that is an exact copy-on-write copy of your live system, which means
> that any changes made to the virtualized environment do not affect the
> host system.
>
> In order to do this a minimal config is produced (with the bare minimum
> support to test the kernel inside qemu), then the selected kernel is
> automatically built and started inside qemu, using the filesystem of the
> host as a copy-on-write snapshot.
>
> This means that you can safely destroy the entire filesystem, crash the
> kernel, etc. without affecting the host.
>
> Kernels produced with KernelCraft are lacking lots of features, in order
> to reduce the build time to the minimum and still provide you a usable
> kernel capable of running your tests and experiments.
>
> KernelCraft is based on virtme, written by Andy Lutomirski
> (https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/kernel/virtme/virtme.git).

Please ignore this, we are currectly renaming the project to virtme-ng
to avoid a potential naming conflict with another project.

I will send another RFP when the renaming will be completed.

Sorry for the noise,
-Andrea