Re: need GBP help with groff 1.23.0 (1.23.0~rc3-1 package prepared)

On Sun, Feb 26, 2023 at 12:06:18AM -0600, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> Background: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1011666
>
> Can someone advise me as to the correct procedure for merging upstream
> release candidate archives into https://salsa.debian.org/debian/groff ?
Just import them? Do you have any specific questions or problems with
this?

> ...except that I don't think I did the upstream merge/tagging right.
You shouldn't do merging or taging manually, gbp import-orig does that for
you.

> I suspect this because if I do a "git rebase -i origin", git goes crazy
> and tells me I have merge conflicts.
Why are you running this command and what do expect to get after running
it? And if it's in a pushed branch then you shouldn't ever do that.

> None of the release candidates were already staged even as reference
> points, so I had to wade into the gbp documentation myself, and I
> probably screwed it up.
Not sure what do you mean by this but importing upstream tarballs is a
very basic gbp action that's hard to screw assuming the repo was already n
a good shape. And it doesn't matter that tarballs are "release candidates"
unless that implies something else.

> [1] Here are my clumsy attempts to get those release candidate archives
>     in.  (I expanded some git aliases that I have set up.)
>
>   587  git branch upstream
But the repo already has the upstream branch.

>   592  git commit -v debian/watch
The upstream branch doesn't have a debian/watch file. Have you confused
master and upstream by running the previous command? Or are some commands
missing?

>   598  gbp import-orig --upstream-branch=upstream https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/groff/groff-1.23.0.rc1.tar.gz
>   599  gbp import-orig --upstream-branch=upstream https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/groff/groff-1.23.0.rc2.tar.gz
>   600  gbp import-orig --upstream-branch=upstream https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/groff/groff-1.23.0.rc3.tar.gz
(--upstream-branch=upstream should be the default)

>   643  git tag upstream/1.23.0_rc1 bc599bf23fcb428295d769c7944bdfd97d8a203d
>   644  git tag upstream/1.23.0_rc2 ff6560eb9b39d2c45a0f8a0c1cc12527edaf270d
>   645  git tag upstream/1.23.0_rc3 ff12aaae2c82beece4d9ff6bb90f019ab142ed06
>   647  git tag -d upstream/1.23.0.rc1
>   648  git tag -d upstream/1.23.0.rc2
>   649  git tag -d upstream/1.23.0.rc3
None of this should be needed if you tell import-orig that the versions
are 1.23.0~rcN instead of the default 1.23.0.rc1.

>   At that point I was able to get "gbp buildpackage" to run, and it was
>   just a matter of doing ordinary packaging work, as illustrated in the
>   commit messages above.
>
>   Advice is appreciated!
Again, which advice? You said that it works for you.