Re: Adding new language/locale to system via a graphical interface

On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 02:59:26AM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a way to add a new locale/language to system from gnome
> (think about gnome on mobile like Purism Librem 5 or Pine Phone). I can do
> that from a terminal by running dpkg-reconfigure locales but want to provide
> an easier option to users. Is there a way to force gtk interface of debconf
> and launch it from graphical interface? In Ubuntu, there is separate add
> language tool which can add new languages.

The debconf(7) manual page suggests that setting DEBIAN_FRONTEND=gnome
after installing the libgtk3-perl package ought to work, and it seems to
work for me:

  sudo env DEBIAN_FRONTEND=gnome dpkg-reconfigure locales

...brings up a GTK+ interface.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  roam@ringlet.net roam@debian.org pp@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13