Populating non-free firmware?

Hi Debianites

Earlier this year, we had a [vote] where we concluded that we'd include non-free firmware in the upcoming Debian 12 release. Steve posted a summary of [next steps] to this list, but it seems like we have some steps missing.

The non-free-firmware [component] has been created, but so far it only contains the rasbpi-firmware package.

I recall seeing various discussions about /what/ should be included in non-free-firmware (packages that install files under /lib/firmware seems like a reasonable approach), but it's unclear how that's going to happen.

Will the archive team be moving those over? Is it up to firmware packagers to re-upload it to the correct component?

As far as I recall, there was also some discussion between archive admins on whether non-free-firmware should contain copies of packages, or whether the packages should be moved (along with migration concerns for the latter).

Since we're so close to freeze, and since there are lots of bits that will be depending on this if we are to implement this for Debian 12, can we have some basic plan and communication put together for this so that everyone knows what to expect?

Thanks to everyone involved in this and putting in the work to make it happen!

-Jonathan

[vote] https://www.debian.org/vote/2022/vote_003

[next steps] https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/20221002142736.GA1700088@tack.einval.com

[component] http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/non-free-firmware/