Re: Proposed MBF: wxwidgets3.2 transition

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 10:32:23PM -0400, Scott Talbert wrote:
> wxWidgets 3.2 (a new API/ABI stable release) has been released a few months
> ago and is now packaged in unstable as wxwidgets3.2.  Upstream has stopped
> supporting wxWidgets 3.0, so the Debian wx team would like to migrate all wx
> package users to wxwidgets3.2 for bullseye, with the plan to remove
> wxwidgets3.0 before release.
>
> For most packages, the transition should be as simple as changing
> Build-Depends from libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev to libwxgtk3.2-dev.  Some packages
> may require small patches; I'm happy to help with those (and I have some
> already from working on this transition in Fedora already).

Question from somebody who doesn't know wxWidgets: if the update from
one release to the other is so simple (at least, you make it sound very
simple, and #1019416 has no blocking bugs, so I reckon everything
works?) then why is this not packaged like pretty much any other library
with an unversionde source package and an unversioned -dev binary
package?

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo