Re: Automatic trimming of changelogs in binary packages

Il 19/08/2022 09:43, julien.puydt@gmail.com ha scritto:
Le vendredi 19 août 2022 à 09:04 +0200, Fabio Fantoni a écrit :
Il 19/08/2022 03:01, Paul Wise ha scritto:
On Thu, 2022-08-18 at 21:18 +0200, Gioele Barabucci wrote:

Does anybody have objective objections against activating
automatic
changelog trimming in binary packages?
Before we consider enabling this by default, first we need a way
for
`apt changelog` to download the full changelog rather than loading
the
changelog from /usr/share/doc in the currently installed package.

Otherwise people who want to look at the full changelog for the
currently installed version of the package will have no easy way to
do
so. They will have to manually find it instead, which isn't exactly
an
easy process if you do not know where the changelogs are stored
online.

Hi, I also used the changelog many times both in the packages I
maintain
and in the one I only use, in some cases a very old changelog entries
was needed.
As long as "apt-get source" gives the whole d/changelog as well as
d/rules, d/control and everything, I think this objection is out.

Why put rarely-used information in each and every installation of our
_users_?

Thanks for reply, I also think that trimming changelog in binaries is useful to save disk space and a little bit of bandwidth/time (when downloading thanks to smaller packages)

What I mean was only have a fast/easy/know to view the full changelog before make trimming the default.

About "apt-get source" need add of deb-src in source.list, download the full source of the package and some operations so is not optimal, "apt changelog" that download and view the full changelog by default as I saw in previous replies seems a good solution

Cheers,

J.Puydt