Re: Automatic trimming of changelogs in binary packages

Hi Gioele,

thanks for working on this!

Am 18.08.22 um 21:18 schrieb Gioele Barabucci:

Hello,

in 2020 there was a brief discussion on debian-devel@ about trimming changelogs [1,2].

Now there is a working implementation of said functionality in `dh_installchangelogs` [3].

This implementation, combined with the evolution of the apt/dpkg ecosystem that happened in the meantime, provides now all the benefits of changelog trimming (less wasted space and bandwidth worldwide, reduced processing time) without the downsides discussed at the time.

## In detail

* `dh_installchangelogs` is modified install in binary packages the trimmed changelogs, i.e. changelogs that contain only entries more recent than the release date of oldstable.

* The trimming is done automatically in compat >= 14.

I think we should do the trimming by default, so I'm all in favour of your proposal. Having the last changelog entries dating back to oldstable seeems like a reasonably chosen time frame and older changelog entries can be queried easily enough via "apt changelog". If you need more details about a specific package, you are most likely best served anyway by looking at the VCS.

I'd even go as far and enable the trimming unconditionally and not tie it to a compat bump.

Regards,
Michael