Re: proposed MBF: packages still using source format 1.0

Andrey Rahmatullin <wrar@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 10:49:17AM +0000, Matthew Vernon wrote:

>> but even if it were, is that an entirely unreasonable position for a
>> package maintainer (or team thereof) to take?
> Probably not? Just yet another case where you need to learn a specific
> workflow to modify or study a certain package, cannot use established
> documentation for that, and are required to use specific non-default tools
> for that.

In practice, for NMU purposes, one can essentially follow
dgit-nmu-simple(7) regardless of what workflow the package maintainer is
using (and that is one of its great benefits). In a large and diverse
project such as Debian there are always going to be multiple approaches
- and that's a strength in general, though there are costs and
trade-offs (such as the barrier for entry to new maintainers).

[but I fear we are drifting off topic]

Matthew

--
"At least you know where you are with Microsoft."
"True. I just wish I'd brought a paddle."