Re: Seeking consensus for some changes in adduser

On Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 11:09:24AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2022 14:41:35 -0500, Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org>
wrote:
And remember, there are existing real-world debian systems that have
users with dots (regardless of local adduser policy; think ldap/ad for
example) so these are already issues that either need to be fixed or
don't really matter.

Yes, they need to be fixed, but it's a different can of beer if we
cannot say "hey, you changed our default, so you get to keep the
pieces of what got broken" but have to say "oops".

I don't think we can say that now, unless we also say that all the tools we have for integrating with external directory services shouldn't be used, and also retroactively change the documentation for adduser.conf to say that you shouldn't use the characters that the man page says you can. In general debian doesn't just say "hey, you changed our default, so you get to keep the pieces of what got broken" for configurations documented as valid.