Re: systemd-sysusers [Re: Seeking consensus for some changes in adduser]

On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 20:59:50 +0100, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org>
wrote:
>have you considered a more declarative approach as provided by
>systemd-sysusers (8)?

No. This thread is about evolving adduser. Not getting rid of it.

514 packages in Debian match "adduser.*--system".

Feel free to offer a declarative thing and encourage maintainers to
migrate. adduser is going to continue to offer a stable interface for
existing packages for the time being. It has been adduser's goal for
20 years now to be as declarative as possible in a maintainer script
by doing everything necessary, just requiring the package to have one
line in the right place in the script.

Greetings
Marc

P.S.: I got involved with adduser 20 years ago because the then
debhelper maintainer brushed off my suggestion to have a dh call for
creating system users. Back then, this approach was as declarative as
it could get.
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |