Re: Seeking consensus for some changes in adduser

On 2022-03-09 21:00:20, Marc Haber wrote:
On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 14:10:04 +0100, Harald Dunkel

Related question: How are naming collisions between local entries and
the entries in a network directory service supposed to be handled?
Something like

	passwd: files sss

in /etc/nsswitch.conf is not helpful, if a postinst script fails to
create a local account due to the entry it has found in freeipa, for
example. Not to mention that such a service might fail at boot time,
if the directory service is not available (yet).

That is beyond adduser's scope. We're (as the adduser team) usually
weasel out of that topic by saying that a system refering to a
directory service is run by skilled staff, and we expect those people
to do their job. It's a small team, adduser has been in limbo for
years, so we need to concentrate on the traps that a novice or
unexperiences user might fall into while relying on skilled users to
work around the issues that we haven't found the time to fix.

This is another trap: /etc/login.defs seems to define some ranges for
"system" uids and gids. They are commented out by default, nevertheless
they imply some configurability. Are changes in login.defs supposed to
be respected by all packages, including passwd (useradd) and adduser?

Regards
Harri