Re: Is removing smell from packages OK? (Was: Why? "Marked for autoremoval on 24 March due to xdelta3: #965883")

Quoting Philip Hands (2022-02-25 11:38:25)
> Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> writes:

> > Yes, which means you can fast-track for *THAT* reason - unrelated to
> > code smell, which is specifically what I was talking about.
>
> I understand that you were reacting to the idea that one can just
> stomp on the existing packaging simply because it "smells bad", but I
> don't think that was really what was being suggested.
>
> I took Andreas's question to be more about:
>
>   If a package is obviously suffering badly from neglect, and urgently
>   needs an upload anyway, is it reasonable to fix as many problems as
>   you can while you are at it, or should one only do the bare minimum
>   to get past the RC bug that's prompting the upload?
>
> Having looked at how it was done, I applaud Andreas for doing a proper
> job.
>
> If the package gets any attention from the maintainer in future, I
> would guess that the fact that the package is now in a much better
> state will be rather motivating.
>
> If the maintainer happens to disagree with any of the changes, each is
> in a separate commit, so would be very easily reverted, but every
> change seemed like a worthwhile improvement to me.

I fully agree.

Thanks for your folowup.  I already posted what was intended as
communicating somewhat same as above, but since there is a real risk
that I failed at getting that message across, I explicitly confirm here
as well :-)

 - Jonas