Re: Legal advice regarding the NEW queue

On Friday, February 4, 2022 6:24:56 PM EST Philip Hands wrote:
> Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> writes:

> > Currently the only answer is join the FTP Team as a trainee when there
> > is a call for volunteers. I totally get the frustration.
>
> People could always just send additional data points to the relevant ITP
> bug, like this:
>
>   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1004021#10
>
> If that's actually useful for FTP team members, it could be encouraged
> on the New queue page.
>
> A link to a wiki page with suggestions of what to check, and how best to
> submit reports in order to make them most useful would probably do the
> trick.
>
> Would that actually help?

I'm not sure what the best solution is as far as notification goes.  Generally
we don't look at the ITP when reviewing packages (ITP isn't even required, so
it's really outside our scope).  A comment to the ITP should get to the
original packager.  If it's a worthwhile issue they can fix and re-upload.

Most packages are currently available on Salsa even though not directly
available through the New queue.  A copy of the New queue does exist on
coccia, but it's not currently readable for non-FTP Team members.  It's
probably not too hard to change that if it turns out having other DDs review
things is useful.

Right to the ITP bug and mention it on #debian-ftp might not be a bad way to
start experimenting with external reviews.

Scott K