Re: Legal advice regarding the NEW queue

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 01 2022, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
>> I would hate to entirely lose the quality review that we get via NEW, but
>> I wonder if we could regain many those benefits by setting up some sort of
>> peer review system for new packages that is less formal and less
>> bottlenecked on a single team than the current NEW processing setup.
>
> This is a fantastic idea.
>
> In fact, it wouldn't have to bottleneck packages at all.  I mean, if a
> quality issue is found in NEW, wouldn't the same be an RC bug preventing
> a transition to testing?

Looking at https://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html it looks like
one could assemble many of these potential issues into a checklist that
ought to be easily within the abilities of any DD to apply.

If that assumption is true, we could require that one performs some
number of such reviews on packages already in NEW before gaining the
right to add another one of your own.

Of course, we'd need some way of allocating packages to reviewers, and
some way for reviewers to submit their reviews, which would need
writing, but once that was done this should ensure that the effort
required to do initial checks on packages was spread out more, enabling
team members to concentrate on the more skilled bits of the process.

It might also act as a recruiting ground for people to get more heavily
involved in the FTP team.

Cheers, Phil.