Re: Legal advice regarding the NEW queue

On Wed, Feb 02, 2022 at 09:39:02AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:

On Tue, Feb 01 2022, Russ Allbery wrote:

I would hate to entirely lose the quality review that we get via NEW, but
I wonder if we could regain many those benefits by setting up some sort of
peer review system for new packages that is less formal and less
bottlenecked on a single team than the current NEW processing setup.

This is a fantastic idea.

In fact, it wouldn't have to bottleneck packages at all.  I mean, if a
quality issue is found in NEW, wouldn't the same be an RC bug preventing
a transition to testing?

I'm not sure "nobody ever looked at this" is a suitable criteria for inclusion in a stable release. We sort of have that problem now in crusty corners of the archive if someone uploads a bad change, but at least there's been one review at some point in the package's lifetime.